I didn’t think much about today’s post because I’ve been thinking about replaying this game for the longest time but didn’t have the time to. This game is my all time favorite, because of it I got into the Japanese culture and got introduced to the Japanese music.
Fatal Frame II is set in the fictional Minakami (皆神) region of Japan. The region is home to Minakami Village (“All God’s Village”), an abandoned town where the majority of the game takes place. The player learns that Minakami Village was host to the “Crimson Sacrifice Ritual”, the failure of which caused the settlement to vanish—thus earning it the name “The Lost Village”. In the game’s present, there is an urban legend about the Lost Village, where people who become lost in the Minakami forest will become trapped forever in the village.
I absolutely love this game, it’s my forever favorite. I wrote a post about it last year, I had fun writing that. I was deeply invested in this game for months, I remember beating it over 20 times just to unlock the outfits. This game was the first one from the series I tried and from it I bought the first and third part.
I love the storyline, I’ve always been interested in Japanese folklore stories specially ghost related. What I like about this game is that it doesn’t rely on traditional jumpscares for the horror element which makes it unique in my opinion.
I highly recommend trying this game if you want a unique horror experience with a rich story.
If you came across this masterpiece of a game, you’ll either hate it or love it. Rule of Rose was released back in 2006 on PS2 and falls into the horror category but adding the psychological element into it. To be honest I was confused the whole time I was playing it, not to mention the set of emotions you go through as you progress in the game. Let us explore the phases this game creates in your mind.
*This post include spoilers
So the game begins with a creepy song and shows few cutscenes, and makes you interested in the story, who is who ? What happened ? Where is this ? The song gives you goosebumps if you focus on the lyrics then later it builds up to violin themed track with a danger vibe to it.
Then it gets random as the game starts showing you different locations and parts from stories which are handwritten with creepy drawings in them. While you try to chain newspaper clippings info with these stories, you stay confused on why in the world these kids want to make your life a living hell.
Trying to make peace with your mind because you got sort of lost but too proud to admit it, holding back the rage of the random attacks the main character Jennifer has to deal with creatures named Imps which are basically children with disfigured faces but with variations as you progress in the game. Then you reach that rage stage when you slowly realize how bad Jennifer actually attacks, to sum it up just swinging forks while she dabs that you would accept the fact that she just deserves to die and you could swing a spoon way better than her. Jennifer honey, you are an adult and they are children for the love of god …
So you try so hard not to hate on these kids then you reach the breaking point that the children in this game aren’t just messed up, they are pure evil. Their punishments take one of the worst form of bullying and will make you feel disgusted.
Eventually you’ll be shouting WTF to everything this game reveals as you analyze the meaning of the children story books, from the sexual implied mermaid story, passing to animal abuse scenes of the bloody bag as they beat it, to the violence of how everyone died and how the whole game ended.
Have you played this game ? How did it make you feel ?
Fatal Frame series has been my favorite franchise since I started gaming on PS2, I started with Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly and I got so obsessed with it that I beat it almost 30 times with various difficulty levels and unlocked most of the bonus outfits and missions. Later on I found Fatal Frame 1 and then Fatal Frame 3 was released and from there I got the name Rei. I got irritated when Fatal Frame 4 was released on Wii and without localization but thankfully I found the fan translation of it and played it on Dolphin Emulator, but as for Fatal Frame 5, I didn’t try it yet but I’m planning to buy Wii U just to play it.
Since I played this series way too much, here’s some things I learned:
- If you hear creepy sounds just follow it. I think almost all horror games or even movies has this stupid concept, why would you go check something that can potentially kill you ? I mean why not, might find a ghost looking like Napstablook from Undertale blasting awesome music or even making you a sandwich.
- Any white lining like an exposure effect in a picture, is a ghost. Who stated that ghosts are white ? Really I genuinely want to know. But anyway after taking way too many pictures in Fatal Frame, ghosts will show up as an effect and a filter as the ones we use in apps to edit photos.
- Abandoned houses, let’s go in. Apparently it’s not illegal to enter a stranger’s house if it looks abandoned and too old, probably filled with insects … Not ghosts.
- Any flashlight you find in the middle of the road, will have batteries. Flashlights … Flashlights everywhere … With working batteries for sure Duracell.
- Children laughing are way too scary. I hated kids mostly because of videogames like Fatal Frame and also Rule of Rose. When I hear a child laugh, it’s seriously more scary than a psychopath serial killer laugh.
- You’ll understand the whole story from diaries. Dead people will write their diary apparently so someone somehow will find it and read it… Even as ghosts, they’ll still write entries.
- Puzzles are completely normal. Ghosts have so much time that they created puzzles all over the area and it’s completely normal. They have to make sure you are smart enough to progress, right ? And on the previous point I stated, hints are always found in these diaries.
So these are the things I learned from Fatal Frame which I can think of at the moment, if you got more to add I would love to hear your opinions.