The definition of happiness varies from person to person, while I honestly consider it as a temporary feeling or bless, as some would say, I still carve a mental note in my mind saying ‘proceed with caution’. We all hate disappointments –while we try to get over the recent Moz update- so we find a coping strategy and techniques to find our desired happiness. This post is part of a collaboration with the lovely Karalee from Tales of Belle be sure to check out her post.
I read a line in a book recently –which I conveniently forgot the name of- that goes like this “Read the first page of a book, if you can’t stop continue till you can” and it resided with me. You know it’s a good book if you can’t stop reading it but you also can’t judge a book from the first page so you continue reading it past the first page anyway, that’s why I think it’s cleverly placed in symbolism.
- Discovering a new hobby
Our priorities seem to shift as we grow older, being adults has made our attention mostly focuses on our families, careers, personal achievements and we strayed from our hobbies that we enjoyed when we were younger. I find that self-discovery journey to enjoy a hobby one more time very liberating, let alone finding something new that we might actually enjoy, for example, I did not know I liked those crafty projects until I began creating something simple as a friendship bracelet and now I find myself wanting to learn how to create small figurines using resin.
I don’t like to consider myself old but I refuse to update my 10-year-old playlist, Britney Spears and Spice Girls songs still make me happy. On serious note music in general makes me happy not just “Oops I Did It Again” I’m held at gunpoint by an angst teenage me to post this. I appreciate music in all genres.
I’m pretty sure I have plenty of other happiness-inducing methods but I had these in mind since they are on the top shelf of the happy pills, let me know what are yours.
When a friend or family member is having a bad day, it’s hard to know what you can do to really help. Your instinct may be to send a meaningful text message or give them a hug, there are actual science-backed ways to help turn someone’s day around that eliminate a lot of guesswork. For example, if your coworker is feeling flustered, you can offer to go on a walk with them to make them feel better. Light exercise releases endorphins, which helps calm people down.
Or, you can order your friend something yellow, like flowers, which is associated with optimism and positivity, to cheer her up. In fact, just wearing yellow can brighten anyone’s mood (So if you’re not feeling up to snuff, change into something yellow) Of course, in the end, just being there to embrace a bad day with a friend can be meaningful enough because that’s sometimes all you can do. You can still enjoy chocolate or start a gratitude list together, and know that tomorrow will be better.
In my personal opinion, I believe aromatherapy helps in boosting your mood whether you like using essential oil diffuser or candles. Now we all agree that happiness is temporary but maintaining a good mood helps in that feeling, I honestly believe certain scents make me smile even when I’m feeling low. Here’s my personal favorite candle scents that always make my day:
- Moss and Mint: I got this combination in a candle send in an OwlCrate and I absolutely love it, it makes me relax to be honest even without lighting it.
- Gardenia Trees and Fresh Bamboo: Yes I confess, nature scents makes my anxiety levels low that’s why most of my favorites are related to nature. I got a candle from Bath & Body Works and it’s been my favorite ever since, it smells like the air fused with a light floral scent and bamboo.
- Cherry Blossom: I love everything with the Japanese cherry blossoms, I go for shower gels, lotions, candles and perfumes. It’s not too powerful and just the right amount of lightness.
I’m pretty sure there are plenty more scents I could add in this list but these are my personal top 3 which I consider my mood boosters. Let me know what are your ways to make your day.
I don’t know why I got all smiley when I read the word Happiness, well I hope it does the same to you. I’ve been tagged by the Lise to do this posts, be sure to check out her blog because she posts some really awesome stuff regularly.
The rules for this tag
- List five things that makes you happy
- Share five songs that makes you happy
- Tag at least five bloggers that makes you happy
Things that makes me happy
- My family. I know it’s not exactly a creative answer but my son and husband are my true happiness, I can’t imagine my life without them.
- Music. Music always have some effect on me, I connect certain songs to memories so whenever I listen to the song, I remember what happened.
- Gaming. I’ve been a gamer as long as I can remember, games makes me happy and also relaxed (specially Harvest Moon)
- Writing. Writing always helped me vent my thoughts either through posting here or my poetry blog, It makes me happy because I can express myself easily through words.
- Books. I love reading, always been since I was a kid but I drifted from that after college because of having a busy life, I got married and then have a child I didn’t have time as before that’s why I subscribed to OwlCrate.
Songs that makes me happy
I normally don’t choose songs that makes me happy for the lyrics so the songs I chose based on how the make me smile or dance in the car when I listen to them.
Bloggers that makes me happy:
I know some of them already did this tag but … you make me happy so I got to list you again 😃