Well it’s been a while since I last posted, I actually forgot how to use WordPress by this point.
On 22nd of September, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Now I can officially call myself a mom of two and be proud of it. I needed to take some time away from blogging and spend less time on social media so I can adapt myself to this new chapter of my life. It was a rather tiring and exhausting experience, and I wouldn’t compare it to my first pregnancy at all. It was hard and I want to say I’m done with having kids but I know I will forget all the pain I went through and say “I miss being pregnant“
We decided to name her the moment she took her first breath after choosing two potential names, seeing her face made the choice easier. I do enjoy buying more pink and girly outfits after getting used to buying for my son for nearly 3 years, should be fun getting those cute dresses later when she’s older.
My son took few days to get used to having a sibling but he’s been very caring and thoughtful with her. I remember going in to the room after getting her bath ready and seeing my son laying next to her and talking to her, it was a very beautiful moment for me to witness.
I’m scheduling ahead few more posts and of course I’m going to insert few gaming ones in between, hopefully get back to my old blog schedule routine if I can.
No matter how much books you read about parenting, or even listening to other mothers advises … You’ll still go through few fails that I consider achievements, I mean at least I tried. I originally saw Geek Mama’s blog post which I really enjoyed and I’ve been thinking to post my own mom fails/achievements.
- Sleeping – I think any mother would beg for a 6 hour sleep time with no interruptions so we try to make our children learn to sleep on their own. I did that … But for some reason he started waking up randomly at night and won’t sleep unless it’s with me and my husband. I tried giving him his favorite toys to lay down and sleep with him if that makes sense, it worked for about a week then he went back to his old habit. Recently, I’ve put a mattress on the floor with a pillow and a blanket. To my surprise, he tucks himself in that blanket and tells me “Mom, close the lights” and HE SLEEPS. I’m not sure if he hates his crib that much or just want more of an open bed with no bars to hold him but he’s been sleeping well lately and that what matters to me I guess.
- Potty Training – I hate it .. I REALLY HATE IT. Again I’m going to refer to Geek Mom’s post because it was hilarious, but let me talk about my experience. My son is confused why all the sudden I’m trying to get him to the toilet, he just gives me that confused look asking “What is this” “What am I supposed to do here” “You made me stop watching Minions for this ?” We stay in the bathroom for almost half an hour, singing all the nursery rhymes he memorizes and then read books. I sometimes get his toys to make him stay longer but nothing happens and he would look in the toilet bowl to see his invisible achievement. I would let him stay without a diaper so we would try again later, 5 minutes after that he pees his pants. It’s frustrating and it takes a long time to do but I can say there’s progress for sure, can’t wait for this to be done hopefully before giving birth.
- TV Time – I love reading about all those researchers that advises against letting children have an extended tv watch time but at the same time I’ve seen so many parents let their kids watch tv for long time because it keeps them silent? Also I’ve seen so many parents give their children phones and pads to watch videos on YouTube to keep them calm while they finish shopping peacefully or just sit in the restaurant. I’m guilty for few of these incidents, honestly my son is obsessed with Minions so I let him watch the movie along with Despicable Me movies probably everyday. I also let him watch some videos on YouTube if we go to a restaurant and I just want him to sit and wait till the food arrives, I feel my son isn’t that loud or noisy so I don’t always use this method.
- Broken Language – You might know that I’m Arab, so my son speaks Arabic but also English and he switches because some words in Arabic are hard for him to pronounce so he says them in English. Of course I constantly get judged by this because … I don’t think there’s a reason to justify that part, I wish I can just tell them shut up at least he knows two languages at a young age. I just think it gives a child a good base to start with bilingual background before going to school. It gets uncomfortable when my son for example says Hi or Hello to older people instead of السلام عليكم (A’ssalam A’laykum) which is more of an appropriate greeting we have.
Okay I didn’t expect this post to be this lengthy, I guess I have plenty of fails to redeem with my second child.
When a friend or family member is having a bad day, it’s hard to know what you can do to really help. Your instinct may be to send a meaningful text message or give them a hug, there are actual science-backed ways to help turn someone’s day around that eliminate a lot of guesswork. For example, if your coworker is feeling flustered, you can offer to go on a walk with them to make them feel better. Light exercise releases endorphins, which helps calm people down.
Or, you can order your friend something yellow, like flowers, which is associated with optimism and positivity, to cheer her up. In fact, just wearing yellow can brighten anyone’s mood (So if you’re not feeling up to snuff, change into something yellow) Of course, in the end, just being there to embrace a bad day with a friend can be meaningful enough because that’s sometimes all you can do. You can still enjoy chocolate or start a gratitude list together, and know that tomorrow will be better.
In my personal opinion, I believe aromatherapy helps in boosting your mood whether you like using essential oil diffuser or candles. Now we all agree that happiness is temporary but maintaining a good mood helps in that feeling, I honestly believe certain scents make me smile even when I’m feeling low. Here’s my personal favorite candle scents that always make my day:
- Moss and Mint: I got this combination in a candle send in an OwlCrate and I absolutely love it, it makes me relax to be honest even without lighting it.
- Gardenia Trees and Fresh Bamboo: Yes I confess, nature scents makes my anxiety levels low that’s why most of my favorites are related to nature. I got a candle from Bath & Body Works and it’s been my favorite ever since, it smells like the air fused with a light floral scent and bamboo.
- Cherry Blossom: I love everything with the Japanese cherry blossoms, I go for shower gels, lotions, candles and perfumes. It’s not too powerful and just the right amount of lightness.
I’m pretty sure there are plenty more scents I could add in this list but these are my personal top 3 which I consider my mood boosters. Let me know what are your ways to make your day.
Recently I’ve been going through some life bumps and mostly from work, I needed to take a break and just breath My husband suggested I would go to Thailand with them, because he wanted to take his mother for checkup and might take his siblings as well. I agreed even though, I don’t really enjoy going with my in laws anywhere to be honest because they are the type that complains too much and I hate it.
My grandmother and mother tagged along later so we became a big family going on a vacation, I would love to describe the flight but I’ll sum it up with … it was horrible and I’ll post why in another post. It’s my second time going to Thailand actually so I was already familiar with the culture, the weather and the weird driving lanes.
It rained almost every night and I LOVE IT, the weather was sometimes humid and sometimes too hot to walk out. I didn’t really put in my mind that I’ll be going out to shop or have fun because the main reason we were there was a medical reason so I didn’t even spend time with my husband, I went out with my son and my in laws mostly while he had to take my grandmother and his mother to hospitals.
Surprisingly, I did have fun and I felt refreshed also in a better state of mind. I wish I could’ve stayed longer though but not with my in laws, probably just have my alone time with my husband at least. I wanted to talk about how amazing their zoo is, the Safari World in the next post for sure but I’ll probably schedule OwlCrate review first so stay tuned for that.
Today marks 16 months since I gave birth to the love of my life (Sorry husband). I thought of posting this as an update for my recent fluctuated feelings and emotions, not sure if it’s related to my postpartum depression even though I feel fine.
I’ve been getting emotional over small details that I didn’t really think would matter, like during bedtime. I would let my son watch animated nursery rhymes till he gets sleepy then he would tell me “nam” means sleep in Arabic and then points at the milk bottle and say “nana”, he counts with me how many scoops of milk and enjoys it then walks till his crib waiting for me to hand him the bottle. It really made me emotional because I’m watching him grow and clearly he understands, it feels overwhelming and quite emotional I know I keep repeating it I just can’t explain it.
One of the things I enjoy in being a mother is watching him be happy and have that constant smile on his face whenever I play with him or watch him explore around. It’s quite surreal for me being someone who’ve always hated dealing with babies and children in general.
So I’ve been thinking about having a second child but part of me isn’t over the first pregnancy with the whole package of pains and aches. My husband thinks we should wait for awhile which I agree but I’ve been getting dreams of having babies lately it’s weird. I know it’s quite a random post but I wanted to just throw out my thoughts somewhere and obviously I would go for my blog, hope I didn’t bore you with this post.
Have a great day
So Rei what have you been up to lately ?
Absolutely nothing but I can tell you I’m keeping myself more occupied by going to the gym. I can finally go out alone with my son and that feels so good, I feel more confident that I can depend on myself when I go buy groceries or taking my son to play alone without my husband. As for my anxiety as I mentioned before in a previous post, I bought this stress relief toy that for some reason went viral recently and everyone is playing with it but it’s one my April favorites.
I found these spinners oddly satisfying and it’s great for stress relief. It’s my favorite toy to play with when I’m over thinking. Moving on to my next favorite which is the nail polish I received from Merlady box.
Love the shade, it’s my favorite color and I love the shimmer in it.
As for my next favorite is also beauty related, it’s ColourPop Ultra Matte lip in Speed Dial shade which I received in my last Glossybox before cancelling it.
I honestly loved Glossybox but it became more of a burden to keep paying aramex every month, hopefully I’ll return to it soon after settling my money issues since I’m a total shopaholic. Anyway the color is absolutely beautiful it’s more of a peachy shade and it looks so natural for an everyday look.
So I got this necklace as a gift from my sister since I’ve been wanting it since I laid my eyes on it, so happy I finally got it and I had to choose it as one of my April favorites.
Finally my last but not least favorite, Outlast 2. I’ve been so into this game lately, it’s disturbing and fucked up but quite entertaining that my son got interested. No worries I don’t play with him around because it’s seriously too messed up.
Song of a Month
Couple of weeks ago I had an interesting conversation with my husband while we were on a date, I took time to reflect on it and decided to write it out on the blog to admit it mostly. It’s something I didn’t think I’ll end up being since I thought the way I act was normal for first time mothers but apparently it’s not.
I think I mentioned this before during the time I started blogging, but being a first time mother gives you a feeling of stepping into the unknown. It’s scary and it’s a whole new realm to discover along the way, while you might hear advises from people or even read books about parenting, it won’t mentally prepare you for motherhood unless you actually live it which became more of an issue to me. I began to be unsure, anxious and indecisive about every aspect in my life and I haven’t really noticed that in me till my husband point it out.
Lately I’ve been absent-minded and not really taking care of myself like not drinking water for a whole day. I’ve been getting nervous and anxious when being in crowds even with familiar people like in family gatherings, I wasn’t really like that until I began to remember these moments as my husband told me that.
So I downloaded an app just to help me remember to drink water, I began to reconnect with friends I didn’t talk to for awhile and plan outings together because I need to be more social. In terms of my health, I’ve been feeling much better since I’m drinking more water, I didn’t really think the importance of it till now. I decided to join a gym and hopefully will start in few days because there’s still baby weight floating at my sides and arms.
Sorry I haven’t been posting lately, I’ve been busy I guess regaining myself. I’ll post a Glossybox unboxing in few days and more next week. Thank you for reading and have a great day.